atunah

Feversong: A Fever Novel
Karen Marie Moning

Through the Smoke by Brenda Novak

Through the Smoke - Brenda Novak

Overall I really enjoyed reading this one. I loved the writing, or the authors voice.

To me it had a bit of a gothic feel to it, the hero also felt gothic. In a way that he was a bit grumpier and darker. But very gentle with the heroine, even if he didn't initially put a lot of thought to how it would look to the villagers him the Earl hanging with the coal miners daughter.

So we have the downtrodden heroine and the stubborn Earl accused of having murdered his cheating wife by house fire.

What follows is a love story that has to endure scorn and shunning for the heroine and despair for the hero.
Its all wrapped in some mystery that has a lot of different characters involved and even the mine feels like another character.

Page turner for me. Read this in 2 busy days. I hope to see more historicals from Brenda Novak, I think she wrote mostly contemporary. I will check out her two older historicals in the future.

Lovely cover on this one, it really caught my eye.