atunah

Feversong: A Fever Novel
Karen Marie Moning

Mortal Arts by Anna Lee Huber

Mortal Arts - Anna Lee Huber

This is the second in the Lady Darby Mystery series. The first is "The Anatomist's wife" and they do need to be read in order. At least I think so. The mysteries are resolved by the end of each book, but there is more development among the characters that is worth following in order.

I loved the first one and I loved this, the second one. There is a darkness in here, a somewhat gothic cruelty. I still can't get the thoughts of asylums in the 19th century out of my head. The suffering we still have today dealing with mentally ill, but nothing compared to what those poor folks had to go through in those days. Especially for things that we now have logical explanations.

This mystery case here is much more personal for Lady Darby than the last one. It cuts her to the core and she is such a incredibly well thought out character, I felt every little thing. I am most amazed at how the author managed to get me such insight in not just her, but everything around her, considering its written in 1st person. I don't usually like that, but here it wouldn't work any other way and it is masterfully done.

The mystery itself is so gripping and so disturbing at times, I literally could not stop reading. Especially the second half I read in one long session today.

I got so folded into the story, I barely came up for air.

The very complicated working relationship with Gage is fascinating.

There were a lot of twist and turns here and every character seemed suspicious of something at one point or another. So many details that paint such a vivid picture of it all.

I cannot wait for the next one, which I believe is out in July. Just a fantastic series.